Monastery of Agia Pelagia
The monastery of Agia Pelagia is on the south, not far from the settlement of Kastrosykia. It is built on a slope covered in olive oil trees, extended from the edges of the settlement, up to the Ionian Sea, next to the National road Preveza – Igoumenitsa.
It was built in the 17th century and it had been twice restored, in 1613 and in 1795, according to the signs. It seems that the stoned iconostasis of the catholic had been constructed in 1856. The date is written on the icons of the Crucifixion and of Agioi Apostoloi. The katholikon of the monastery is a simple four columned inscribed cruciform church with lateral conches and the iconostasis of the year 1856.
The cellars are on the west side of the katholikon and they consist a building of rectangular shape with three rooms of accommodation and an open gallery. The oldest dated building of those that currently exist is the pillar with the arched doorframe that bears the engraved on the coat sign “Σ/Σ 1894”, built in 1894.
The monastery was built on the remains of a roman building, relics of which are evident on its fence and recently in one of the cellars a mosaic floor of the roman era was revealed.
The monastery has been listed historic monument according to Greek Official Gazette 717/ vol β/19.8.1997.
F. Vitalis, Ipirotiki Estia 1967, p. 185
D. Triantafyllopoulos, AD 1978, Chronics
Click on the map for more details