The Monastery of Taxiarhis is located on the steep rock of Zalongo, on the east of a modern monument of Souliotisses, close to the Monastery of Agios Dimitrios. The little temple is a single-naved with an additional narthex on the west. Probably, it must have been built in 1883, at the place of the Byzantine temple. It was abandoned since the Second World War and in 1975-1976 the Ephorate of Antiquities in Ioannina took over the restoration. Nowadays, it functions as a chapel.


A. Georgantzi, The Zalongo Monastery, Epirotiki Estia 3 1954), p. 377-381.

D. Triantafyllopoulos, AD 1976, Chronicles.

See more sightseeings in Monasteries category below or return to Sights category

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons