The building of the National Bank
The National Bank building was built in 1932-1934 and it is a typical example of the recent public buildings that were built after the liberation (1913). Colorful ceramic Iznik tiles decorate the upper part of the balcony’s archway: saz and green leaves and light blue and pink flowers, scattered birds of paradise (blackbirds, peacocks). The tile decoration of the archway is a common technique during the period of westernization of the ottoman architecture. According to An. Tzakou (Tzakou 1984), the building was designed by the architect Michail Kanakis and according to Dion. Vlachopoulos (Vlachopoulos, 2003) by Aristomenis Valvis. It is located at the central pedestrial beach walkway of the city, next to the City Hall.
Click on the map for more details