At the entrance of Amvrakikos gulf, close to the remains of ancient Vereniki – whose exact position we don’t know yet – at a distance of almost 10 kilometers off the remains of ancient Nikopolis, the city that was founded after the naval battle of Aktio in 31 BC, the city of Preveza is located, at a key position for its later spiritual and commercial development. The first clear reference of its name is found on a Greek version of “Peloponnese Chronicles” (Χρονικού του Μορέως) of 1429, verse 9108: “… sixty gallery ships came and they are Genoese, they arrived at Preveza, they ravage the villages…”.
The etymology of the name Preveza, according to prevailing views,dates back either to the word of Slavic origin Perevor (= passage, crossing), or to the word of Albanian origin Prevёzё / a (= transfer, transition), or to the word of Italian origin Prevezione (provisions). All interpretations are relevant to it dominant geographical position.
The historic references about Preveza during the period of 1292 until the half of the 15th century are very few. To anonymous Byzantine chronicles it is written that Preveza was conquered by the Ottomans in 1477/78, in the days of Mehmed II the conqueror and it was twice fortified in the days of Bayezid II in 1486/87 and in 1495. The Venetian Admiral Bartholomew Pesaro with eight gallery ships tried unsuccessfully to conquer it in 1499 and he plundered the city, from where he kidnapped “a flotilla of twenty gallery ships”.